Mention has been made of the Pivot machines, invented by Pearson Hill, which were widely employed in the larger offices of Ireland from the late 1860s onwards. These machines were manually operated and enabled the sorting clerks to cancel mail rapidly.
They are regarded not so much as machines per se, but as mechanical assistance to what was still fundamentally a manual operation. True machine cancellation was develloped in Germany and the United States in the 1880s, following on earlier experiments by Rideout, Creswell and others in England, but Ireland was not used for any of these trials, and did not begin using machines until they were well established in Britain.
in: James A. Mackay: Irish Postmarks since 1849
Aufsätze in Anthologien und Zeitschriften
- Stephan Jürgens: Dani vs Daguin: The Three Different Hand Canceling Machines Used in Italy The "Bollatrice Inglese" (Pearson Hill
in fil-Italia. The Official Journal of the Italy & Colonies Study Circle VOLUME XXXIX, no.2 (whole number 156) Spring 2013
- Stephan Jürgens: Ein Auslandsbrief von Rom nach Florenz
in Gildebrief 240 - September 2013 Poststempelgilde e.V.
- Stephan Jürgens: Dani vs. Daguin - Die drei verschiedenen in Italien verwendeten Handstempelmaschinen
in Italien Rundschau Heft 70 September 2012 Arbeitsgemeinschaft Italien im BDPh e.V.
- Giuseppe Cirneco: Il bollo sperimentale del 1864 la sicurezza prima di tutto
in FilateliCa. La Filatelia nel III Millennio. Terzo Congresso Nazionale. Savigliano (CN)
- Stephan Jürgens: Die Versuche mit den Pearson Hill Handstempelmaschinen in Italien
in Italien Rundschau Heft 62 Dezember 2009 Arbeitsgemeinschaft Italien im BDPh e.V.
Relevante Einträge in philatelistischen Lexika
- Eintrag Hill, Pearson in:
Douglas & Mary Patrick: the musson stamp dictionary